Thursday, December 1, 2016

Thanksgiving (Week 25)

"Thanksgiving was wonderful! We got to spend the day eating and serving. Stuffing is really good, I've decided. They don't eat as many casseroles here in Washington and they really love yams...they're pretty tasty...it was almost like a whole different version of a thanksgiving meal but it still had rolls, turkey, and mashed potatoes. I am still stuffed!

So there was a day this week. I think it was Saturday... where it was really cold and rainy where we were in Seattle...Our car was nice and toasty and it was really, really hard to get up out of the car and walk. We had to park relatively far away and so it was a 5-10 minute walk to the apartment complex, and we knew it was locked and didn't even know if someone would let us in or not. I really didn't want to get out of the car. Like really. But, of course, I did it anyways. And then the whole walk there, I was just praying that I would be able to forget myself and go to work. That I would have a good attitude and not let any negative feelings creep into the conversations that we were going to have with people. Wow, I testify that Heavenly Father really does listen to prayers! I still felt cold and wet, but I felt like I was okay. Everything was going to be okay and I didn't even think about how cold I was anymore! I can't explain it, except that I felt so much better after walking through that cold rain than I thought possible.

Christ is the reflection of our potential. If we understand Him and His life, we understand our own potential. Do not settle for less than that! I recently met a person who truly does not believe that she can ever reach her full potential. She said that she has to find a place for herself that is in between how she grew up and where she wishes that she could be. Excuse me if this sounds rude, but I think that's absolutely ridiculous! We are here to constantly become more perfected, through Christ. And while He is the only way that we can ever do this, it's the experiences and trials and good times that we have in this life that lead us along the path that we need to take. We do have control of our own actions. We cannot force spiritual things to happen, but we just have to trust that when we are following the Savior, those spiritual and joyful experiences will come, despite the painful experiences that will also come. And, we don't need to feel guilty because we somehow did something wrong that caused that bad thing to happen.

I was reading in personal study about how Nephi and Lehi were surrounded by fire and how a cloud of darkness overcame the wicked people that were trying to imprison them and kill them. And how, when they saw the light on their faces, even though it was really dark, they (the wicked people) really wanted that light too! They wanted to know what they needed to do in order to have the light. All that they had to do is have faith and exercise that faith...act...and they saw the darkness lift and realized that they were surrounded by a pillar of fire too. This touched me so much. Especially with the focus being on LightTheWorld...

(SIDENOTE, GO WATCH THIS AMAZING VIDEO PLEASE! https://www.mormon.org/christmas/light-the-world you won't regret it! it's an amazing way for people of all faiths to do service together and become more like our Savior Jesus Christ)

...and how we are the light of the world. I so much want to find a Russian speaking person who can see the light on our faces and wants to truly know how they can also have that light. It's hard for me to understand why that hasn't happened yet and easy to assume that it's because I am doing something wrong...however, I am just trying to be obedient and trust that God has a plan. It has all worked out so far, so I know it will continue to work out!

This week we had an interesting experience where we were the ones whose door got knocked on. Let's just say we had a very interesting conversation with some Jehovah's Witnesses. It was so funny at first, but then I realized that this is exactly what it's like for people when we knock and so I humbled myself right up and tried to listen and make them feel comfortable while still sharing our beliefs with them as well. They have a light the world card, so hopefully they can feel something when they watch the video. (go watch it if you haven't!)

We went to the temple! We got to see the Armenian couple from our Russian group get sealed to each other and their 2 adult children as well. I've never had a more peaceful experience, and I am so grateful that I now that I will be with my family into the eternities.

Love and miss everyone! Have a fantastic week and don't forget to LIGHTTHEWORLD

Sister Jenne"












It looks like Sister Jenne had a marvelous week. I'm always so grateful when she sends us so many pictures. Don't forget to #LIGHTTHEWORLD this month! :))))


No comments:

Post a Comment