Wednesday, December 13, 2017

BOM=Sickle (Week 73)

"Interesting week!

We met a lot of people again this week who were just so against the Book of Mormon. Pair that with our 5th Sunday lesson that we taught about letting the Book of Mormon speak for itself, and I've just realized how important it is that people give the BofM a chance and that members are the one who give them that opportunity to read it. We showed our ward a video about experimenting and helping people to read the Book of Mormon for themselves before they make any assumptions. We have been taught that the Book of Mormon is like the tool of the harvest, the sickle, if you will. Probably 80% of people would be more likely to be more open to a member than to the people with the black tags. It just blows my mind that RM members can't see that. Maybe it used to be different as a missionary, and people were maybe more receptive, I don't know. All I know is I wish that I knew better how to motivate the members to think more outside of themselves and just live the gospel. If they would live the gospel, they would automatically share it. It would be natural. I love what President Eyring said at this last conference:

"In a season of increasing tumult in the world, those increases in testimony have driven out doubt and fear and have brought us feelings of peace. Heeding President Monson’s counsel has had two other wonderful effects on me:

First, the Spirit he promised has produced a sense of optimism about what lies ahead, even as the commotion in the world seems to increase.

And, second, the Lord has given me—and you—an even greater feeling of His love for those in distress. We have felt an increase in the desire to go to the rescue of others. That desire has been at the heart of President Monson’s ministry and teaching."

When we live the gospel, we feel an "increase in the desire to go to the rescue of others." I think a lot of members just need their testimonies strengthened that they actually CAN trust in the Lord and that He actually WILL help them. I know that I didn't really think that He would help me before my mission. I always thought that He would help other people but probably not me. It's the same when you think that you would never be the one who would get in the car wreck, but then you do and you realize that anything can happen.

There was a returned missionary giving his homecoming talk yesterday in church. Some of the things he said really stuck out to me. One of the most common questions that people have is "if God is a loving Heavenly Father, then why would bad things happen to good people?" Well. There are a thousand different answers, and most of them aren't satisfying for most people. You can blame it one agency, you can say that there is a need for opposition in all things, but yet, most people cannot see how God would do those things out of pure love.

But, if we equate it to an earthly, parental love, then it's much easier to relate to any person who has children or relatives who are young. (basically everyone) If you were going to send your child to school for the very first time, would you keep them from going to school because you knew that somewhere along the path, they were going to scrape their knee? No! You wouldn't. A scraped knee is nothing in comparison to the benefit of the learning that will come from going to school.

We learn from the Book of Mormon that "He doeth not anything save it be for the benefit of the world; for he loveth the world, even that he layeth down his own life that he may draw all men unto him. Wherefore, he commandeth none that they shall not partake of his salvation." That knowledge and understanding comes from reading  the Book of Mormon! No where in the Bible will you find that verse. It's important to read both, I'm telling you! It's also  so important to have scraped knees and hard times and everything. There are gonna be bullies in school. There are gonna be people who get hurt physically, mentally, emotionally...it's going to happen, but God is not going to protect us from the things that will perfect us. (quote from Sister Anderson) Jesus Christ laid down His own perfectly exquisite life so that we could have succor during our trials. Moping and weeping through them is like not using the gift of strength that is sitting on the table, waiting for us. The Atonement already happened. The question is, are we going to apply it in our lives or not? Happiness is not based on our circumstance, it's based on our attitude and our faith in God's plan and His eternal love.

We got a training call which could mean a number of different things. I'm thinking trio training again, but I don't know for sure. If I did know for sure, that would take the fun out of it. Anyways, I don't know what's coming next transfer, but I'm at the point now where I'm not scared or apprehensive because no matter what happens, I am a missionary and all will be well because I do have divine help. So, I'm excited and prepared to give it my all!

I love you all and miss you dearly! Have a wonderful week <3"

No comments:

Post a Comment