Sunday, October 29, 2017

Freezing Rain! (week 70)

“So, I've been wondering where the Seattle rain is. We've been told that winter starts on September 15th, and I remember last year when it started raining in September. But, up to this point, it's been really beautiful and warm. Well...this week, the one time we go knocking far away from home with no jackets or tights, it poured down freezing rain for 30 minutes and then we had a long lesson in a freezing cold house. Sister Piddubna got sick after that and had a fever that night...Winter is here. It was a lesson learned; we'll always keep jackets in the car now.

The coolest miracle happened this week though! We got a text on our phone saying to call this guy asap because he wants to meet with us (English speaking, not Russian). So we went over and taught the Restoration and committed him to all the normal commitments. So we were discouraged at his not coming to church yesterday and not texting us back. BUT then, we got a text last night :) Turns out, his phone broke or something. So all is well and there is a church tour set up this week.

I remember, after church yesterday, we were both just feeling tired, because we had to wake up early for ward council and then go to 5 hours of church instead of 3. We went home for comp study and unexpectedly were able to set up a lesson with a Ukrainian man. He's so dang funny...he spent the first 15 minutes telling us about an Artesian well where you can get free spring water and then he gave us some of it with organic honey in it. Super yummy. He also tried to show us some Ukrainian comedy show about getting married. I told him we couldn't watch that right now hahah. I wrote it down though...I also told him about enduring to the end and he was like...naw...life isn't to be endured! It's to be enjoyed! I thought that was cool. He would make an awesome Mormon. So our Sunday really became better after getting that text and having that lesson. The other cool part was that we were having a really hard time trying to find someone who  could come to the lesson with us. We needed a third female there so that we could go inside. No one was answering. We were about to give up and I just decided to scroll through the phone and call the first person who stuck out. Of course, the first person that popped up was the obvious choice. She speaks Russian and doesn't live far away...We just totally forgot about her due to the fact that she's not in our ward. It's funny because I think a lot of the time, the choice is obvious, and God is wondering why we aren't seeing it.  So he has to get us to that point through other promptings, such as: scrolling through phone contacts.

We said goodbye to Sister Christensen this weekend. It was bittersweet, but I know it was for the best (Sis Chris, if you're reading this: ya tebya lublu ii ya tak hochu shtobui tui vernulac zdyes no fsyo normana).

We got permission to go and be part of a studio audience on a tv show in Seattle with a member from our ward. It was the coolest p-day ever today!

I've been thinking a lot about what President Eyring said in conference. He said that he read the Book of Mormon every day for 50 years. Um. Think about that, actually...So you're telling me that this incredibly busy man never had a day where he was just traveling or speaking or working all day long so much that he never had a second to open the book? That's amazing! It's easy as a missionary, because we have a scheduled time every single morning, and it's our responsibility. But even then, sometimes I find myself reading other things. But, I want to discover the Book of Mormon's message for me. I invite all of you to do the same. I'm going to read it cover to cover one more time before the end of my mission, and I can't wait to share with all of you some of the new things that I will learn.

So much more happened, but the time is so far gone.

I love you all!”




No comments:

Post a Comment