Monday, September 25, 2017

WARNING! (Week 64)

"This morning at 2am, we woke up to "WARNING CARBON MONOXIDE *BEEP BEEP BEEP*" going over and over. So that freaked us out. We turned it off, ran outside, called President, he told us to leave, so we ran back inside and grabbed some essentials and drove to a different sisters' apartment. I haven't been awake at 2am in ages, much less driving through the back roads of Redmond, WA. It was a little bit eerie..so dark & no one else on the road. Don't worry though because we called 911 and it turns out that we have a faulty detector. FALSE ALARM, but still very startling and an interesting experience.

Onn Saturday we had this crazy day. We had some lessons with investigators planned and then the Russian sisters called (Sisters Piddubna & Christensen) telling us that there is a Ukrainian Festival, and they want to go, but Sister Christensen is feeling really sick and could we come and do splits with them. 2 seconds later, one investigator called to cancel, and we decided to just stop by the other in the morning instead. So, all of the sudden, the day was free! We were driving to Bellevue to do the splits, and we kept hearing something in our tire clinking against the road. We get there and Sister Piddubna and I are walking around and we get a text from Sister Christensen and Sister Anderson..."We're on the side of the freeway with a flat tire, but don't worry the district leader is coming..." So while they're supposed to be going home to rest from sickness, they're trying to get our car fixed for 3 hours.

Meanwhile, we have people approaching us with the intent to argue. It was weird. I almost had forgotten how different the culture is. Almost every single person that we talked to had the same concern "Why are you reading the Book of Mormon" "Who is Mormon" "You girls really should just read the Bible" I also got told that I look like I am from Kazakhstan or China. I also was fasting, and so all of the amazing food was a no go. I did buy a crepe at the end of the day.

Every time I am in a similar situation, I start to remember the importance of testifying as a missionary. I remember that the one thing that people cannot argue with or take away is my sincere testimony. If someone's heart is hard, seeking out the flaws of what you say, it probably won't be easy for them to allow the spirit to penetrate their heart. All we have to do is create an environment where the spirit is present and pray that "those you are teaching will feel the confirming witness of the Holy Ghost." In fact, the Prophet Brigham Young said "If all the talent, tact, wisdom, and refinement of the world has been sent to me with the Book of Mormon and declared in the most exalted of earthly eloquence, the truth of it, undertaking to prove it by learning and worldly wisdom, they would have been to me like smoke which arises only to vanish away. But, when I saw a man without eloquence or talents for public speaking, who could only say 'I know by the power of the Holy Ghost that the Book of Mormon is true, that Joseph Smith is a Prophet of the Lord' the Holy Ghost proceeding from that individual illuminated my understanding, and a light, glory and immortality were before me. I was encircled by the, and I knew for myself that the testimony of that man was true."

I think this verse describes how Sister Pidduba and I were feeling: "It came to pass that there was a division among the people, insomuch that they divided hither and thither and went their ways leaving Nephi [us] alone, as he [we] were standing in the midst of them." There were people all around us. Good people! But, we were alone in our testimonies. We were feeling "much cast down." In the Book of Mormon, Alma gave up the judgement seat to Nephihah so that "he himself might go forth among his people and that he might preach the word of God unto them, to stir them up in remembrance of their duty, and that he might pull down, by the Word of God, all the pride and craftiness and all the contentions which were among his people, seeing no way that he might reclaim them save it were in bearing down in pure testimony against them."

As people try and argue with me about the Book of Mormon and as they encourage me to "do a little research," my testimony is only strengthened. I have read the book. I have prayed about it. I have felt the confirming witness of the spirit of the Lord time and time again. I know that the Book of Mormon is the word of God and I agree with Joseph Smith when he said "the Book of Mormon is the most correct of any book on earth, and the keystone of our religion, and a man would get nearer to God by abiding by its precepts than by any other book." Now, there are a lot of cool historical facts and miracles surrounding the Book of Mormon, but the sweet testimony in my heart came from a heartfelt prayer with a true desire to know the truth. I know that when we ask, God answers. It's in His own time, but he does answer.

Our area is doing really awesome. It's not easy, but we are seeing miracles every day! We have an investigator who is really progressing and is super interested in the Book of Mormon. We got to our appointment on Sunday and he wasn't there. But, he left a note on his door apologizing and asking that we please come back because he's been reading the introduction and testimonies and is going to keep reading. I just want him to progress toward baptism! This week we also met with a PMF who wants their 9 year old son baptized asap. he will probably get baptized on the last Saturday of the transfer, so that's awesome! MIRACLES MY FRIENDS

I love you all! have a GREAT week,

Cectpa Jenne"

No comments:

Post a Comment