Sunday, July 2, 2017

B-b-b-baptism?! (Week 55)

"Greatest news of the week...we found some giant containers of strawberries for $2 each!!!!! It was a miracle... the best part of the whole week...just kidding..

While, yes, that was a pretty cool tender mercy from the Lord, BUUUT what made me smile the most this week was hands down [a] BAPTISM! This tiny little 9 year old is such a shining beacon in the kingdom of Heavenly Father. From not knowing God existed to believing with all her heart that she is a daughter of God, this girl and her family have been changed forever. Our mission president says that no one can enter the waters of baptism without a miracle...and that was definitely true with [her]. As she came out of the water, she took a gasp of fresh air, and it was ..to me..a symbol of this new life for their family. Not only has she been blessed, but her entire family has been able to return to church and are on the pathway to the temple. I know that I have lifelong friends in them. GOD IS SO GOOD.

We were running around like chickens with our heads cut off, trying to figure out why the heck planning a baptism is so hard, when I realized that Satan did not want this to be able to happen. He was absolutely against it. That's where the power of prayer and the scriptures and our ward comes in! The only reason we were able to have everything run (relatively) smoothly was due to prayer and the awesome people in the ward! I am so grateful to be surrounded by wonderful people. Mom, you have nothing to worry about! Bothell is my home. It's so cool to know that I may spend my entire mission in just the Bothell ward. That's not something most missionaries are able to experience.

I learned something about faith this week. Actually, it relates to baptism. The morning before [the] baptism, I decided to study about the reason that baptism is necessary. We have so many conversations with people that don't understand the importance of ordinances and covenants with God. Because...as long as we believe we are saved, right...? Why baptism? Yes, we know that it's only through Jesus Christ that we are saved. However, what is faith in Jesus Christ? If it's simply believing, then what's the point? We are here to fulfill our divine potential. We are here to become something. We believed in Christ and God before we came here and obtained a body...there has to be more to it than that.

2 Nephi 9:23 says "and He commanded all men that they must repent and believe in his name and be baptized in his name, having perfect faith in the Holy One of Israel, or they cannot be saved in the kingdom of heaven."

and James ch. 2 expounds on what it means to have "perfect" faith...

"Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he had offered Isaac his son upon the altar? Seest thou how faith wrought with his works, and by works was faith made perfect? and the scripture fulfilled which saith, Abraham believed in God, and it was imputed unto him for righteousness: and he was called the Friend of God.Ye see then how that by works a man is justified, and not by faith only."

We can have faith that is perfect when we are willing to act, not only to be acted upon. Isn't that what we are learning? How to just do it. Nike was on to something when they came up with that slogan!

There's something that they tell missionaries to do. They tell us to break life down into simple steps...for example: "all I have to do right now is ________." I like to also ask myself, what's the worst thing that could happen, and would I be able to overcome that through Jesus Christ? If the answer is yes (which it always is), then why not do it? What's bold today won't be bold tomorrow and what's uncomfortable today will become comfortable over time. I thought that I would be a lot more perfect after being on my mission for a year, but instead I realized that I just learned how to recognize the peace in my imperfections. I wish that all of you will be able to do the same.

I love you all! Have a blessed week <3
Sister Jenne"




No comments:

Post a Comment