Monday, March 5, 2018

"Be of good cheer; it is I..."

In Matthew 14: 25, it says that the disciples' sailing trip wasn't going so well. "The ship was now in the midst of the sea, tossed with waves: for the sea was contrary." I've never actually gone sailing before, but I imagine that it's a lot easier if the wind is not blowing contrary to the direction you are trying to go. Jesus knew that they were tired.

He's the commander of all the elements of the entire earth. You'd think He could bother to make the wind softly blow his friends to shore, without any trouble.

He doesn't do that. Instead, he waited until they have labored all night long, until somewhere between 3-6AM. They were rowing and toiling from sundown until about 3 in the morning, at best.

Plus, this was a pretty crazy storm. Peter was a professional fisherman, and he was still afraid for his life.

So the question is "why." Why didn't Jesus Christ exert his powers to calm the storm for his disciples. These men were dedicated to following Him! Even if He wasn't going to save them right away, why did He wait 9 hours before doing so?

It reminds me of a story called "The Ricciardi Letters" that I read while I was on my mission. After struggling with little to no success in his mission, an Elder talks about his prayer: "That morning I had prayed for close to 45 minutes when I decided to cease praying, still not having formally closed the prayer, just quiet in my thoughts and tears. I was having thoughts of going home, giving up. Then I heard this message: “Elder Humphrey, I am here. I know who you are. I sent you to those neighborhoods, the very ones where you experienced nothing but rejection. I prompted your changes in direction to even more difficult neighborhoods. I know where each of the elect in your area resides. I know their names. I could send you to those addresses only, and save you the time and sacrifice looking for them. BUT ELDER HUMPHREY, WHAT GOOD WOULD THAT SERVE YOU? The mission experience is to do what you are told, when you are told, to go where you are asked, and know that the blessing comes from enduring what I ask of you. This is not about you; it is about opening your mouth at all times in all places. Doing my will without thought to the end result or consequence… this is what serving a mission is."

The Savior doesn't save us in every moment and keep us comfortable. We haven't earned that by being faithful. Instead, we've earned the comfort in knowing that Jesus Christ is in the boat with us. When the storm is raging, He's there and we can be calm on the inside. He wants us to know that we can't do it alone. He needs strong sons and daughters.

In every trial, we are learning something. He is humbling us so that we will listen to Him, rely on Him, and step out of our comfort zone to come unto Him.

No comments:

Post a Comment