Monday, February 5, 2018

"I am come a light into the world..."

There are a few insights that I would like to share with you!
First... I was reading an assignment for a class and I came across St. John 12:46 "I am come a light into the world, that whosoever believeth on me should not abide in darkness."

I really love how it says that we won't abide in darkness. To abide implies that we would always be in darkness. God doesn't promise that we will never experience darkness, but he does promise that each and every time we are experiencing darkness, we WILL be able to overcome it if we believe in Christ. So it's safe to say that there is no reason to feel guilty or unworthy if we are passing through a patch of darkness in our live. It will get light again, if we are patient and believing.

Second...Moses 6:31 "And when Enoch had heard these words, he bowed himself to the earth, before the Lord, and spake before the Lord, saying: Why is it that I have found favor in thy sight, and am but a lad, and all the people hate me; for I am slow of speech; wherefore am I thy servant?"

There were 3 reasons that Enoch gave for not wanting to accept his calling: 1) he's too young 2) everyone hates him 3) he's slow of speech

Well, we can all relate! Right? We don't feel like we can accomplish a calling, and so why bother trying? Well, I would like to share a quote: "do not pray for tasks equal to your abilities, but pray for abilities equal to your tasks. Then, the performance of your tasks will be no miracle, you will be the miracle." -Thomas S. Monson

It's not like God doesn't already know it when we're too young or no one likes us or we aren't so good at public speaking. He doesn't call us because we have an infinite capacity already. He sees the potential. So, if something seems too hard, just know that you're supposed to learn something from it. It's not too hard, or else you wouldn't be faced with it.

Third...When we read the scriptures, they don't tend to emphasize the fact that we are mortals, and we are constantly falling short. Instead, we read almost always about how if we come unto Christ, we can overcome our shortcomings. Parents love children because of what they put into them, not what they get out of them. I think that we should pattern our thought processes after the prophets of the scriptures (and modern-day prophets). Hardly ever do you read of a prophet who fails to recognize that his weaknesses can be made strong through Christ. It's important to know that we have weaknesses, but it's not important to dwell on them. I'm still figuring out how to move on and allow the Atonement to heal and strengthen me without reverting back to my old ways, eventually. I guess that's part of the journey. Luckily, we aren't alone on that journey! Not only is the Godhead with us every step of the way, so are our families and friends.

Love always,

Sav

No comments:

Post a Comment